To address the problem of fluorosis, mainly due to intake of high fluoride through drinking water, the National Programme for Prevention and Control of Fluorosis (NPPCF) was initiated in 2008-09 during 11th Five Year Plan
The NPPCF aims to prevent and control Fluorosis disease in the country, by conducting regular surveys, comprehensive management of fluorosis and capacity building.
- Surveillance of fluorosis in the community and school children; capacity building in the form of training and man power support.
- Diagnostic facilities in the form of laboratory support & equipment including ion meter to monitor the fluoride content in water and urinary levels
- Health education.
- Management of fluorosis cases by providing for corrective surgeries and rehabilitation
In the state of Andhra Pradesh, National Programme for Prevention and Control of Fluorosis was initiated in the year 2008-'09. Nellore was first district in which the programme was introduced in India. In 2010-'11, Prakasam district was newly introduced to the programme. Guntur was selected for the programme in 2011-'12. Thus, National Programme for Prevention and Control of Fluorosis currently runs in three districts in Andhra Pradesh.
Key performance indicators
- Number of drinking water sources tested for fluoride content
- Number of awareness campaigns conducted.
- Number of school children screened.
- Number of trainings provided to staff.